Friday, May 26, 2023

Anticipated Books of June

I thought there were a lot of books that came out in May, but June is even more insane!  So many I’m excited for that I’m actually suffering from decision paralysis trying to decide what to read first and haven’t read any of them yet, even among the ones for which I have early copies.  And I already have library holds on the rest!  My most anticipated list is long this month, but I have at least as many I didn’t include.  Send help! 😂


Here they are by US pub date:

Same Time Next Summer by Annabel Monaghan (6/6) - Annabel Monaghan’s debut novel, Nora Goes Off Script, was my favorite romance of 2022 and landed a spot on my top ten favorite books of 2022 as well. Can’t wait to read her follow up!  Per the publisher, it’s about “about an engaged woman who comes face to face with her first love who she hasn't seen in fourteen years, but who she spent every summer with from age five to seventeen when he broke her heart, calling into question everything she thought she knew about their love story, and herself.”

Charm City Rocks by Matthew Norman (6/6) - My husband and I both love Matthew Norman’s books.  He writes books that are basically the male equivalent of contemporary women’s fiction (like Jonathan Tropper or Nick Hornby), and they’re so enjoyable.  Per the publisher, “When a single dad meets the former rock star crush of his youth, everything they thought they knew about happiness and love is thrown into chaos in this hopeful, heartwarming romantic comedy.”

Crow Mary by Kathleen Grissom (6/6) - Kathleen Grissom wrote The Kitchen House, one of my top ten books of 2012 and one of my book club's favorite book club books as well.  And I loved her second book Glory Over Everything too.  Looking forward to her latest historical novel, described by the publisher as “a sweeping saga inspired by the true story of Crow Mary - an indigenous woman torn between two worlds in 19th century North America.”

Death Comes to Marlow by Robert Thorogood (6/6) - I really enjoyed Robert Thorogood’s first charming small town British mystery, The Marlow Murder Club. I am looking forward to this sequel where the amateur sleuths try to solve another murder.

The Spectacular by Fiona Davis (6/13) - Fiona Davis is one of my favorite writers of historical fiction, ever since her first book, The Dollhouse, made my top ten favorite books of 2017. A new book by her is always cause for excitement for me!  She always sets her books in a famous New York City building - this time it’s Radio City Music Hall, where the main character is a Rockette caught up in an investigation of a bombing in the theater.

You Were Always Mine by Christine Pride and Jo Piazza (6/13) - I loved this author duo’s first book, We Are Not Like Them, so I’m eager to check out their sophomore novel together. According to the publisher, this one is “about a Black woman who finds an abandoned white baby, sending her on a collision course with her past, her family, and a birth mother who doesn’t want to be found.”

What Remains by Wendy Walker (6/13) - I have read and loved a lot of Wendy Walker’s previous thrillers.  Books that have crazy twists usually annoy me, but in her books, I’m here for it!  The publisher’s blurb for this one is hard to summarize, but sounds like it is about a detective who saves someone in danger, only to find out he’s not who he says he is.

Sally Brady’s Italian Adventure by Christina Lynch (6/13) - I loved Christina Lynch’s little known debut novel, the historical novel The Italian Party.  Looking forward to reading her new book!  Set in Italy just like her first book, according to the publisher this one is about a Hollywood gossip columnist who gets stuck in Italy during World War II.

Zero Days by Ruth Ware (6/20) - Ruth Ware is another one of my favorite thriller writers and I never miss her books. The publisher describes this one as “An adrenaline-fueled thriller that combines Mr. and Mrs. Smith with The Fugitive about a woman in a race against time to clear her name and find her husband’s murderer.”

The Quiet Tenant by Clemence Michallon (6/20) - The only debut novel on my list this month, this is here because I’ve seen some incredible raves for it from trusted early reader friends.  It’s apparently a literary thriller about a woman kidnapped by a secret serial killer.

The Beach at Summerly by Beatriz Williams (6/27) - I absolutely adore Beatriz Williams’ books and I’ve read every single one of her many books, with her book The Secret Life of Violent Grant making my top ten favorites of 2017.  Can’t wait to read this one, too bad my Netgalley request is stuck on pending!  This one sounds like it is a WWII/Cold War spy thriller, and seems to have ties to her previous books The Summer Wives and Our Woman in Moscow.

Have You Seen Her by Catherine McKenzie (6/27) - Yet another thriller on my June list!  I’m a long time fan of Catherine McKenzie, from her earlier contemporary women’s fiction books to her transition to suspense/thrillers.  I still have a few of her backlist books yet to go, but I never miss a new release by her!  According to the publisher, this one is “about three women with dark secrets whose lives intersect in the picturesque and perilous Yosemite National Park.”

Will They or Won’t They by Ava Wilder (6/27) - I loved Ava Wilder’s rom com debut How to Fake It In Hollywood, so I’m eager to see if she can recapture the same kind of magic with her second book.  The publisher’s description says:  “On screen, they're in love. Off screen, they can't stand each other. Two co-stars with a complex history reunite to film the final season of a beloved paranormal drama in this tension-filled will they won't they romance.”

***

Are any of these on your to-read list?  Have you read any of these already?  Any other books publishing in June that you're excited for?


No comments:

Post a Comment