Friday, January 5, 2018

Anticipated Books of 2018

I probably have enough books in my possession to last me at least the next 5 years if not more.  But as if that's not enough, here are some books I'm particularly looking forward to reading which are going to be published in 2018.  I'm lucky enough to already have advance copies of a few of these, but will have to wait for the others!  Publication dates are listed in parentheses, and I've listed them in order of currently scheduled publication date.



Between Me and You - Allison Winn Scotch (1/9/18):  Allison Winn Scotch is one of my favorite authors of contemporary women's fiction, and several of her books have made my Top 10 lists.  One of those authors where I don't care what the description of the book is, I will read it because she wrote it.  I have an ARC of this one, and planning on reading it next.

The Pearl Sister - Lucinda Riley (1/23/18):  This is the 4th book in a series, each one of which is told by a different sister, all of whom were adopted by a mysterious rich guy, who on his death leaves them each a clue as to their origins.  Each book deals with one sister in the present day, alternating with a historical story that in some way connects to her birth family though usually several generations back.  The overall premise of the series is a little weird, but I love the books.  Just finished reading the third on which was my favorite one so far.

Still Me - Jojo Moyes (1/30/18):  Louisa, the main character of "Me Before You" and "After You" is back for a third book.  I love Jojo Moyes and would read whatever she wrote next regardless, but particularly excited for this one.

How To Stop Time - Matt Haig (2/6/18):  This one seems to be on a lot of critics' lists of anticipated books of 2018 - the premise, about a guy who has been alive for centuries but just wants to live a normal life but is stymied by the secret society protecting others like him, sounds really interesting.

Force of Nature - Jane Harper (2/6/18):  Jane Harper's book from last year, "The Dry," made my top 10 list for 2017, so very much looking forward to her next book, a mystery with the same detective.

Surprise Me - Sophie Kinsella (2/13/18):  Sophie Kinsella does not exactly write great literature, but love her standalone chick lit books (hated the 2 books I read from her Shopaholic series).  Looks like a perfect read for my Mexico vacation in February

The Broken Girls - Simone St. James (3/20/18):  Another past/present storylines historical fiction, plus this one sounds like it is also a gothic suspense novel, set mostly at a boarding school where girls have disappeared over the years.

The Female Persuasion - Meg Wolitzer (4/3/18):  "The Interestings" was on my (and I think a lot of people's) top 10 list for 2014.  Looking forward to reading this one, her first adult book since then.  Fun side note:  I apparently met Meg Wolitzer once when I was a kid, when she came to Thanksgiving with my family because she briefly dated my uncle!

Other People's Houses - Abbi Waxman (4/3/18):  Abbi Waxman's previous book, was on my top 10 list for 2017, and I seriously adored it.  Hope her second book is as good!

The Summer I Met Jack - Michelle Gable (5/22/18):  I have loved all 3 of Michelle Gable's books so far.  This one sounds really interesting, a fictionalized version of the life of a real woman who had an affair with JFK.

Neverworld Wake - Marisha Pessl (6/5/18):  Both of Marisha Pessl's previous books have made my top 10 list, let's see if she can go 3 for 3!  Hard to tell from the description so far what it's about, but sounds like it may be a deparature from her previous books and instead is some kind of young adult urban fantasy?

All We Ever Wanted - Emily Giffin (6/26/18):  I have been a devoted reader of Emily Giffin for many years, all the way back to when her first book, "Something Blue," came out in paperback back in 2005.  She writes it, I'll be lining up to read it.

The Summer Wives - Beatriz Williams (7/10/18):  I only discovered Beatriz Williams in 2016 and have been having fun working my way through her back catalog.  She's another in the past/present historical fiction genre that I so love.

Spinning Silver - Naomi Novik (7/10/18):  Loved Naomi Novik's "Temerarire" series, and loved her fantasy book "Uprooted."  This apparently is set in the same world as "Uprooted" though not a sequel, and is kind of a play on the Rumpelstilskin fairy tale.

The Masterpiece - Fiona Davis (8/7/18):  Loved Fiona Davis's "The Dollhouse," which made my top 10 list last year.  Looking forward to reading both her other book, "The Address," and "The Masterpiece" which is coming out this summer.

Seneca Lake - Bethany Chase (8/21/18):  If there's anything I have realized from writing the blurbs above, it's that generally if an author makes it on to my top 10 list once, I will be interested in reading all their further books except if they get horrific reviews or something.  Bethany Chase's "Seneca Lake" doesn't seem to have a cover or a publisher blurb yet, but I don't care, I loved her previous two books and I will read it.

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton (9/14/18):  I know nothing about this author, but the publisher's blurb hooked me immediately, from the first line "How do you stop a murder that has already happened?", to the description of a Groundhog Day-esque plot where the murder happens over and over again, to the ending line, "a highly original debut that will appeal to fans of Kate Atkinson and Agatha Christie."

No comments:

Post a Comment