Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Passage TV show trailer

Regular readers of this blog will know that I'm totally obsessed with the book trilogy "The Passage" by Justin Cronin.  When I first heard that it had been optioned for a TV show, I was pretty excited, especially because originally it was going to be adapted for a movie and I knew there was just no way to cram that whole book into a movie.  Then I heard the TV show was going to be on Fox, and I started to worry.  Because this really is a show that screams for premium cable or a streaming network.




Then I heard that they were going to focus only on the first storyline in the book, basically involving the events leading up to the apocalypse.  And while I get that on one hand, how on earth are they later going to do the jumps far forward in time which the book takes?  Again, on a different service I can see the audience going with that, but on network tv, that seems doubtful.  On the other hand, maybe the show won't make it that far so it won't matter?

Because now it's even worse.  The trailer is out, and at least in my opinion, it looks TERRIBLE!



The following comments may not make sense to you if you haven't read the book, but I have a lot of issues with the casting.  I'm sorry but Zach from Saved by the Bell is not Agent Wolgast!  And while I have no problem with the character of Amy being cast as African American rather than white, the way she is portrayed in the trailer as a peppy, sassy kid is just completely wrong for the odd and nearly silent Amy from the book.  I was also completely confused by the female zombie character in the trailer so I googled and apparently that is Babcock.  WHAT?!?!  How the heck can you make Babcock into a woman?  That just makes no sense at all.

I also worry that the trailer just makes it look like a generic action/horror show.  That being said, you know I'll be tuning in this fall no matter what.  I'm just anxious because it really is one of my favorite series of all times and I have a feeling they're going to butcher it.

Stay tuned for a future post after I see the actual show, and also for a future post discussing some of my favorite tv adaptations of books!



No comments:

Post a Comment