Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Anticipated Books of Fall 2018

Hard to believe when it's still so hot, but summer is drawing to a close.  Well, technically summer does not end until September 22nd, but to me, summer ends and fall begins when school starts.  For some of you around the country, that already happened weeks ago.  But here in New York, school starts after Labor Day, so my kids have just gone back to school.



With how hot and humid it has been in New York, I'm really looking forward to some nice fall weather.  But of course I'm also looking forward to fall reading!  There are lots of books being published this fall that I'm looking forward to, including some by a few of my favorite authors.  Here are some of them, listed in order of publication with the dates in parentheses representing the publication dates:

Leave No Trace by Mindy Mejia (9/4/18) - I really enjoyed Mindy Mejia's debut novel, "Everything You Want Me To Be," which was an interesting mystery/psychological character portrait.  Her second book, "Leave No Trace," just came out yesterday, and is described as being about a boy who mysteriously disappears along with his father and is presumed dead, and then reappears ten years later but won't say what happened to him.  I got a copy of this book from Netgalley, and plan to read it next.

Transcription by Kate Atkinson (9/18/18) - I love Kate Atkinson, and three of her books have made it on to my Top 10 favorites lists of years' past.  Somehow I missed her last book, so I still need to read that, along with catching up on some of earlier books.  But in the meantime, she has a new book coming out in a few weeks!  Her new book is another historical fiction novel, about WWII espionage in Great Britain.

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult (10/2/18) - Jodi Picoult used to be one of my favorite authors, with 4 of her books making my Top 10 lists in years past, but over time I found her work varied in quality and got a little formulaic at times (the formula being, pick a hot button issue, somehow make it result in a legal trial, throw in a last minute twist).  This new one certainly picked a hot button issue - hostage situation at an abortion clinic - so should be interesting to see what she does with it.  I got an advance copy of this one from Netgalley, so definitely will be reading it.

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton (10/9/18) - Kate Morton definitely is one of my most favorite authors, with 3 of her 5 books so far making my Top 10 lists.  It's been 3 years since her last book, and I literally would read anything she wrote regardless of the description.  But the publisher's blurb sounds good to me - "the story of a love affair and a mysterious murder that cast their shadow across generations, set in England from the 1860's until the present day."  I'm in!

The Witch Elm by Tana French (10/9/18) - I've talked about Tana French on this blog a lot, including picking her Dublin Murder Squad books as one of my favorite series, with 5 of the 6 books making my top 10 lists.  Her new book coming out this fall is her first book that is not a part of that series.  (I was going to call it her first standalone book, but really her other books do function as standalone books even though they are part of a series.)  I can't lie, the description of this new book might not have been enough to make me seek it out if it was written by someone random, but since Tana French wrote it, I'll be reading it.

Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver (10/16/18) - It's been a while since Barbara Kingsolver wrote a book (6 years), and in my opinion, her last two books were not as good as her earlier books.  Nonetheless, I definitely want to check out her next book.  It sounds like it is written in one of my favorite genres, dual period historical fiction, about two different families in the same house, one in the present and one in the 1880s.

House of Gold by Natasha Solomon (10/23/18) - I've only read one of Natasha Solomon's books, "The House at Tyneford," but I really enjoyed it.  And her new book cover is like those that I described in my post on judging a book by its cover, with a beautiful cover that was the first thing that drew this one to my attention.  (Many of the other books in this post have covers that are nothing special, which is why I haven't included pictures of them here - I generally was drawn to them because of the author.)  Based on the blurb, this is a historical fiction novel set in Vienna and England both prior to and during World War I.

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas (10/23/18) - Sarah J. Maas's "Throne of Glass" series is another one I have talked about a lot on this blog, since Allison and I have binged the whole series in the past year.  The final book in the series comes out in October and we can't wait, as it promises to be a doozy!  It's also apparently 992 pages which is insane.  But it's probably the single book on this list that I'm most excited to read, which is saying something.

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty (11/6/18) - It really is ridiculous how many of my favorite authors have books coming out this fall!  The publisher's blurb for this one is "Could ten days at a health resort really change you forever? In Liane Moriarty’s latest page-turner, nine perfect strangers are about to find out..."  If there really are 9 different POV characters, I'm a little skeptical as that is rather a lot for any book to pull off.  But Liane Moriarty is one of my favorite writers of contemporary women's fiction, and another one where I would read anything she writes regardless of the description.

***
I'll definitely read all these eventually, but will I actually make it through all these books this fall?  Only time will tell!  For anyone wondering, of the 17 books I mentioned in my anticipated books of 2018 post, I've read 13 of them, and am currently reading a 14th, "The Masterpiece" by Fiona Davis.  Considering one of the books was pushed back until 2019, not too bad!  On the other hand, of the 10 books in my post on books coming out in summer 2018, I've only read 4 so far and as I just mentioned, am currently reading "The Masterpiece," the only book which appeared on both lists. I own 4 of the others, and have the 5th on hold at the library, so I'm on my way to reading them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment