Friday, April 12, 2019

Must Read Authors

As befits someone who reads a lot and is constantly amassing new books to read, I have a long, long list of must read authors.  I thought it would be fun to try to narrow it down to not just authors I love, but authors who I anticipate their books with great interest and try to read them ASAP when they come out.  Since there are actually a pretty enormous group of authors for whom that is true, to narrow it down, I'm going to give myself a few parameters:  (1)  they have to have written at least 3 books, and (2) I have to have read all of their books.  There are other authors who I love but I'm still working on catching up on all of their books - I'll cover those in a future post.



If you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll probably recognize most of these names as I've discussed them in my posts on various genres, among other things.  A few I even talk about enough that I've already given them their own tag, so I'll start with those and go roughly in order from there.


Kate Morton is one of my all time favorite authors.  She is the master, par excellence, of dual time period historical fiction, and I've put 4 of her 6 books on my annual top ten lists, including her most recent book, The Clockmaker's Daughter, which I gave a 5 star review last fall and included on my top 10 books of 2018

Tana French is another of my most favorite authors.  She is an Irish author of terrific mysteries, including 6 books in one of my all time favorite series, and one standalone novel.  Her books have appeared on my top 10 lists 5 times.  Like Kate Morton, her last book came out last fall so she doesn't have another book announced yet.

Justin Cronin doesn't have his own tag on the blog, but I did give a tag to his Passage trilogy, another of my favorite series, which I talk about a lot, as well as two prior novels which were quiet literary books.  All 5 of his books have made my top 10 lists, making him perhaps the only author who has a 100% top 10 rate for me.  It's been nearly three years since his last book and I don't know when he'll publish whatever type of book he decides to write next, but I promise you I'll be first in line to read it!

Jennifer Weiner - Since I've read all 11 of Jennifer Weiner's adult novels and her memoir, I'm going to go ahead and say I can include her on this list as an author for whom I've read all of their books, even though I haven't read her two middle grade novels.  Hey, if I make the rules, I can break them, right?  😉  She is my favorite chick lit author and I've been religiously reading her books since she first started out.  3 of her books have made my top 10 favorite lists over the years.  Her next book, Mrs. Everything, comes out in June, and sounds like it is a bit of a departure for her as it has a historical fiction aspect.

Emily Giffin is another favorite chick lit author who I've been reading since the very beginning, and two of her books have made my top 10 lists.  Her last book came out last summer, and she doesn't have anything announced to be published as far as I can see.

Liane Moriarty is another favorite chick lit/contemporary women's fiction author, and I sometimes like to brag that I discovered her before most people did.  (From a bargain book section at Barnes and Noble, no less!)  Two of her 8 books have made my top 10 lists.  Her most recent book came out last fall, and was not her best but I still enjoyed it.

Jane Harper is another favorite mystery writer.  Her first book made my 2017 top 10 list, her second book merited not just a spot on my 2018 top 10 list but also a 5 star review, and I also loved her most recent book, which just came out in February and is definitely in contention for a spot on this year's top ten list.

Rainbow Rowell is a favorite writer of both young adult fiction and contemporary women's fiction.  Two of her five books have made my top 10 lists.  Her next book, Wayward Son, is a sequel to her last book Carry On and is scheduled to be published in September.

Julie Buxbaum is another favorite writer of both realistic young adult fiction and contemporary women's fiction, and 3 of her 4 books have made my annual top 10 lists.  Her next book, another young adult novel called Hope and Other Punchlines, is coming out on May 7th.

Allison Winn Scotch is another one of my favorite writers of contemporary women's fiction whose work I've been following from the beginning, and two of her seven books have made my top 10 lists of years past.

Laura Dave is yet another of my favorite contemporary women's fiction writers, and interestingly enough as best as I can tell from what I see on the internet, I think that she, Julie Buxbaum, and Allison Winn Scotch are all friends, which I find interesting!  Her first book made my 2008 top 10 list

Bethany Chase's 3rd book doesn't come out til this summer, but I've already read it - and given it a 5 star review, so she meets the condition of having at least 3 novels.  And she is another excellent chick lit/contemporary women's fiction writer, though perhaps a little less well known.  Her first book made my 2015 top 10 list, and her new book is pretty much guaranteed to make my 2019 top 10 list.

Fiona Davis I discovered in 2017, when I read her first book The Dollhouse and put it on my 2017 top 10 list and went on to read her next two books as they were published.  She has carved out the very specific genre of dual time period historical fiction set in famous Manhattan buildings.  Her next book, The Chelsea Girls, is coming out this July.

Curtis Sittenfeld - I finally caught up on Curtis Sittenfeld's books, so I'm going to put her on this list, though the fact that I read some of her books years after they were published suggests that she wasn't quite as much of a priority for me to read in the past.  However, I love her extremely real feeling contemporary fiction, and will definitely be eager to read what she writes in the future.  She made an appearance on my 2018 top 10 list

Donna Tartt writes extremely long and rather literary books that seem to be love them or hate them for a lot of people - I happen to love them and "The Goldfinch" was on my 2014 top ten list.  She seems to only publish a book every ten years or so, so it could be a while before she has a next book for me to anticipate!

Jonathan Tropper is my most favorite author of contemporary male fiction, and his book How To Talk to a Widower was on my 2008 top ten list.  Unfortunately he seems to have decided to focus on tv writing, and hasn't published a novel since 2012.  But if he ever returns to books, I'll be there!

Ruth Ware is another favorite writer of mystery/thrillers.  None of her books have made my top lists, but I have really enjoyed them.  Her next book, The Turn of the Key, is scheduled to be published in August.

Michelle Gable is another one of my favorite writers of historical fiction, not to mention a trusted Goodreads connection whose book reviews I've been following since long before she was a published author.

No comments:

Post a Comment