Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Critics' Top Books of 2019

Last year I wrote a post looking at various critics' top 5 or 10 books of 2019.  It was interesting and definitely gave me a few more books to add to my never ending to-read list.  So I thought I'd do it again this year.  So, while you await my picks for my favorite books of 2019 (which I don't create until January though believe me I'm thinking about it all year long), here's a look at what some of the critics have to say about the best books published in 2019.


As I did last year, I've compiled a variety of lists here, with links to each critic's actual list embedded in the name of publication below in case you're interested in looking at the critics' comments/descriptions. I'm only going to discuss each sources' fiction choices, since I don't read a lot of non-fiction.  I'll add my comments after each book the first time it appears on a list below.  And I'm listing all books in order alphabetically by author's last name.

The New York Times Book Review

Night Boat to Tangier - Kevin Barry - Haven't heard of it and the description does not really call to me.
Exhalation by Ted Chiang - I haven't read this yet but it was already on my to read list.
The Topeka School by Ben Lerner - I haven't read this yet, but it was kind of vaguely on my to read list so I may bump it up.
Lost Children List by Valeria Luiselli - Hadn't heard of this and don't even remember seeing the review of it in the NY Times.  Sounds interesting though, and very timely.
Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips - Again, I haven't read this yet, but it was already on my to read list.

Entertainment Weekly

Fleishman Is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Aker - Finally a book I have read!  It is not on the short list for my personal top 10 list, but it was a great book.  You can see my Goodreads review here for a long discussion of my complicated feelings about it.
Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo - Had not heard of this though apparently it won the Booker Prize this year.  Not sure whether I'm interested in it just based on the description, but it appears on a bunch of these critics' lists so maybe.
Bowlaway by Elizabeth McCracken - Already on my to read list; I read her book "The Giant's House" many years ago and loved it.
The Need by Helen Phillips - Already on my to read list.
Disappearing Earth by Julia Phillips
Normal People by Sally Rooney - I read this, and I don't get the hype on this one at all!  EW actually named it the best book of the year but I really didn't care for it.  My Goodreads review is here.
The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead - Already on my to read list.  Loved his book "The Underground Railroad" but I know this is going to be another heavy read so have to be in the right mood to read it.
Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson - Not just already on my to read list but I already have it, so I will be reading it soon.

The New Yorker

Mostly Dead Things by Kristin Arnett - Hadn't heard of it; doesn't particularly appeal to me.
The Divers' Game by Jesse Ball - Hadn't heard of this one, and it simultaneously sounds interesting and yet like a pretentious book I would not like.
Trust Exercise by Susan Choi - Already on my to read list; I'm actually on the library waiting list for this one
Ducks, Newburyport by Lucy Ellman - I have heard of this one and it doesn't matter how many critics extol it, I can't imagine any world in which I would voluntarily read a book which is almost entirely a single sentence of stream of consciousness that goes on for 1,000 pages.
Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
Valerie by Sara Stridsberg - Hadn't heard of it and doesn't really appeal to me.
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong - I've heard of this but have heard mixed things from people who have actually read it (everything from love to hate) so not sure whether I want to read it.

Publisher's Weekly

Trust Exercise by Susan Choi
Optic Nerve by Maria Gainza - Hadn't heard of it and not interested
The Man Who Saw Everything by Deborah Levy - I had vaguely heard of this, not sure whether I'm interested or not.
From the Shadows by Juan Jose Millas - Hadn't heard of it and not interested
The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

Washington Post

Strangers and Others by Leah Hager Cohen - Already on my to read list
Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James - Had vaguely heard of this but not particularly interested
The Topeka School by Ben Lerner
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong

Slate

Trust Exercise by Susan Choi
Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi - Have heard of it and it's vaguely on my to read list
Normal People by Sally Rooney
Fall, or Dodge In Hell by Neal Stephenson - I've heard of Neal Stephenson but not this particular book; I'm generally scared by the extreme length of his books.
The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

NPR

Trust Exercise by Susan Choi
Lost and Wanted by Nell Freudenberger - This is already on my to read list;
The Dutch House by Ann Patchett - I read this and though I thought it was very good, it was not in the same league as Ann Patchett's best books, and not a contender for my personal top 10 list.  My Goodreads review is here.
Orange World and Other Stories by Karen Russell - I didn't like Karen Russell's "Swamplandia" so don't plan to bother reading her again.
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong
The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead

***
Summing up, looks like the most acclaimed books  are Trust Exercise and The Nickel Boys, both of which are on 4 out of 7 lists.  Also making multiple appearances are On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous and Girl, Woman, Other with 3 picks each; and Disappearing Earth, Topeka School, and Normal People with 2 picks each.  

As a result of looking at these, I'm adding Lost Children List and Girl, Woman, Other to my to read lists; many of the other books were already on my extremely long to read list but perhaps will get bumped up due to their appearance on these top 10 lists.

I've only read 3 books between all these lists and none of them will make my top 10 list, but at least I liked Fleishman Is In Trouble and The Dutch House, whereas I kinda hated Normal People.


No comments:

Post a Comment