Friday, February 19, 2021

Contemporary women's fiction/chick lit, part 2

Although I read a lot of different genres, overall I probably read the most contemporary women’s fiction/chick lit.  I’ve previously written about my all time favorite authors in both genres, to the extent they ever are separate genres as it is hard to distinguish them sometimes!   Anyway, if you like these types of books, please go check out these posts on contemporary women's fiction and chick lit from 2018 as those authors continue to be some of my favorites whose new releases I eagerly anticipate.  But since it’s been a few years since I wrote those, it seemed like a good time for an update on some additional authors I've either discovered or read more of since then.  Since I have so many to recommend, I’m going to stick with authors who have written or from who I’ve read at least two books.


Katherine Center - In the last few years, I’ve read 5 of Katherine Center’s 8 novels and definitely am planning to get to the last few as well.   My favorite so far is Things You Save in a Fire which was a 5 star book for me and one of my ten favorites of 2019, but I recommend the others as well. 

Jasmine Guillory - I have gotten SO much reading pleasure over the last few years from Jasmine Guillory’s chick lit/romance series, with 5 books in the series so far and a 6th due to be published in July.  And I recommend them to people all the time too!  Though each has a different main character, they’re all loosely connected, so definitely start with the first in the series, The Wedding Date. 

Kelly Harms - Kelly Harms is another fun author, and I’ve read all 4 of her books to date and looking forward to another one set to be published in July.  Have enjoyed them all, but my favorite is definitely The Overdue Life of Amy Byler, another book I recommend all the time, a book that’s kind of chick lit for grown ups, a super fun slice of mom escapism.

Abby Jimenez - I read both of Abby Jimenez’s books in one month last year.  The second one, The Happy Ever After Playlist, was my favorite and made my top 10 list for 2020, but since it is the sequel, start with her first book, The Friend Zone.  And I'm looking forward to her 3rd book, out in April.

Laurie Gelman - Are you a mom?  Do you want to laugh?  Then you MUST read Laurie Gelman’s books Class Mom and You’ve Been Volunteered, hilarious and relatable books which gently satirize suburban mom life.  And I’m lucky enough to have just gotten an ARC of the third book I’m the series, out this July!

Emma Straub - When I made my first contemporary women’s fiction list, I made Emma Straub an honorable mention, but since I’ve read another book of hers I absolutely loved since then (All Adults Here just barely missed making it onto my top 10 of 2020), I want to include her on this list.  My favorite of hers so far is Modern Lovers which made my 2016 ten favorites list

Camille Pagan - Like Emma Straub, I’m bumping Camille Pagan from an honorable mention last time to this main list because she’s become a total must read author for me.  My favorite of her books so far is Forever Is the Worst Long Time, which made my 2017 top ten list.  And I’m lucky enough to have gotten an ARC of her new book coming out in May, so I’ll be reading that soon. 

Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgenstern - I love this duo’s two books about a faux version of the British royal family with romance and real emotions.  The first of the books, The Royal We, made my 2018 top 10 list.

Elin Hilderbrand - Funnily enough, I discovered Elin Hilderbrand many years ago when her book Barefoot made it onto my 2009 top 10 list.  But for some reason I didn’t make it a habit to start reading her books, until the last year or so during which I’ve read 5 of her books.  She’s very prolific so I have a long way to go til I catch up, so that's something to look forward to!

Christina Lauren - I just recently discovered Christina Lauren, as lots of people have been recommending their books (yes, they’re actually two people writing under one pen name).  They write fun, slightly steamy romance/chick lit novels.  I’ve read just two so far, The Unhoneymooners and Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating, but looking forward to checking out more.

***

This list of authors, along with my two previous lists linked above, should hopefully keep you busy for a long time!  And by the time you've caught up on all of their books, I'm sure I'll be back with another list of favorite women's fiction authors for you.  No wonder I can never catch up on all the books I want to read, when I keep discovering more wonderful authors!


No comments:

Post a Comment