Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Anticipated Books of August 2021

 The end of the month always means it’s time for me to look ahead to books coming out the next month that I’m excited for.  And thank goodness there are slightly fewer books I’m dying to read coming out in August because I’m already having trouble keeping up with the books published so far this year - not to mention in the years before that!  


Indeed, I have ARCs of a few of these but haven’t managed to get to them yet.  So you’ll just have to wait for my actual reviews.  Without further ado, here are the books I’m most excited for which are coming out in August 2021:

The Magic of Found Objects by Maddie Dawson (8/1/21) - This one sounds like a light but fun read, about a young woman who decides to give up on romance and marry her childhood best friend - but then meets someone new that makes her wonder if that was really the right choice.  I have really enjoyed the three other Maddie Dawson books I’ve read so I’m looking forward to this one too.  And if you haven’t picked your July Kindle First Reads book yet, this is one of the choices, so you can still snag it for free before the month is over. 

The Husbands by Chandler Baker (8/3/21) - I loved Chandler Baker’s The Whisper Network, which was a Reese’s book club pick.  This one sounds like another thought-provoking feminist thriller, which, according to the publisher, asks “to what lengths will a woman go for a little more help from her husband?” All my reader friends who were luckier than me and got an advanced copy have loved this one, so I can’t wait for it to come out - plus I’m looking forward to reading and discussing this with my Read Spin Repeat Book Club.

Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky (8/3/21) - I was totally wowed by Adrian Tchaikovsky’s science fiction novels Children of Time and Children of Ruin.   So I’m looking forward to seeing where he goes with his new trilogy of which this is the first book, described by the publisher as “an extraordinary space opera about humanity on the brink of extinction, and how one man’s discovery will save or destroy us all.”

Yours Cheerfully by AJ Pearce (8/10/21) - I loved AJ Pearce’s charming first novel Dear Mrs. Bird about a young woman in London during the Blitz who takes a job working for an advice columnist along with working as a telephone operator for the Fire Auxiliary Service.  So I’m super-excited to read this sequel which sounds like it picks up where the last one left off.

The Bookseller’s Secret by Michelle Gable (8/17/21) - I have been a fan of Michelle Gable since the very beginning of her career and have read all of her books.  This is a dual time period historical fiction, set in 1942 London where Nancy Mitford is managing a book store while the owner is off at war, and the present day where the search is on for a lost manuscript written by Mitford.  Nancy Mitford was a real person and author (though I’ve never read any of her books), so that should be interesting, and I just love dual time period historical fiction!  Plus any book set in a book store always gets my attention.

The Heart Principle by Helen Hoang (8/31/21) - It’s funny - I didn’t love Helen Hoang’s The Kiss Quotient quite as much as everyone else, though I did like the semi-sequel The Bride Test a little better. But yet, even though both books were just 3.5 stars for me, I’m looking forward to reading this third installment in the series. 


Are any of these on your list?  Anything else coming out in August that you’re excited for?


No comments:

Post a Comment