Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Anticipated books of April 2022

Excited to bring you my most anticipated books publishing in April 2022.   So many good sounding books coming out next month, with a ridiculous amount of then all coming out on April 5th!  I’ve already read a few and have ARCs of some of the others that I’ll try to get to soon; others I’ll be reading once they are published. Here they are, in order of publication date:


Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel (4/5/22) - Emily St. John Mandel’s Station Eleven is an all time favorite of mine - indeed, it was one was one of the books I selected a few years ago as one of my favorite 20 books of the past 20 years.  This new one sounds great too.  The description reminds me a little of both Station Eleven and one of my top 10 of 2021, Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr, as it takes place in multiple times periods, including the future.

Again, Rachel by Marian Keyes (4/5/22) -  I am a longtime fan of Marian Keyes, and have read all 14 of her previous books. And I already read and loved this continuation of Keyes’ Walsh Sisters series.  Here's an excerpt of my 4 star review:  "This book is about Rachel, formerly the center of the second book in the series, Rachel’s Holiday. It’s set many years after that book took place, and Rachel is now an addiction counselor at the very rehab center she was an inpatient at in the first book. I think you probably could read this as a stand-alone - it has been many years since I read this series and a lot of the details are pretty hazy - but for me it was a real treat to see beloved characters from the old books in a later stage of their life. This installment is not only the best book Keyes has written in a while, it just might be my favorite book she’s ever written. It gave me ALL THE FEELS!"  You can find my full review here on Goodreads or here on my bookstagram.

The Candy House by Jennifer Egan (4/5/22) - I loved Egan’s collection of connected stories, A Visit From the Goon Squad, which is one of my favorite short story collections of all time.  It sounds like this is another interlinked short story collection - and possibly even with some cameos of characters from that book.  This one is set in the future, where a new technology allows people to upload and access all their memories.

Sister Stardust by Jane Green (4/5/22) - I have read almost all of Jane Green’s extensive backlist of books.  But this new one sounds like a departure for her, her first foray into historical fiction.  It’s set in the 1960s in London and Marrakech.

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus (4/5/22) - This debut novel is set in the 1960s and is about a female scientist who becomes the host of a tv cooking show.  Early reviews of this one are rapturous!

Welcome to the Neighborhood by Lisa Roe (4/5/22) - I love a good mom com and this sounds like fun one.  It’s about a divorced mom who moves from Queens to the suburbs and has to adjust to her new life. 

The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth (4/5/22) - I have read all of Hepworth’s books and am looking forward to her latest domestic drama, about a man seeking to divorce his incapacitated wife for a much younger woman, and the reactions of his adult daughters.  I have seen some mixed reviews of this one, but my understanding is that if you go in knowing it’s not really a thriller you may enjoy it better, and as someone who has been reading her books forever, that’s fine with me.

The Sign For Home by Blair Fell (4/5/22) - This coming of age debut novel is written from the perspective of a man who is both deaf and blind , which is definitely a unique perspective I have never read before.  And I have seen some great early reviews!

Year on Fire by Julie Buxbaum (4/12/22) - I already read and loved this YA novel from one of my all time favorite authors - indeed I wanted to read it so badly I e-mailed the publisher begging for an early copy!  Here is an except from my 4 star review: "This young adult novel alternates between four different perspectives, all juniors at a private high school in California: twins Immie and Arch, their best friend since middle school Paige, and newly arrived from London Rohan. Each are dealing with their own issues of family, relationship, and just the general issues accompanying being a teenager - plus the fires happening at their high school."  You can find my full review here on Goodreads or here on my bookstagram.

Part of Your World by Abby Jimenez (4/19/22) - Abby Jimenez is one of my favorite rom com writers; I just love her writing, her characters, the romance, and the emotions.  I already read and loved her latest adorable rom com - here’s an excerpt from my 4.5 star review: "This novel is told from the perspectives of Alexis, a doctor from a rich and influential family in Minneapolis, and Daniel, the young mayor of a tiny poor town a few hours away, who meet cute at the very beginning of the book when her car ends up off the road while driving past his town. So there’s an opposites attract romance, along with some deeper themes about family expectations and legacies, and emotional and physical abuse. Plus lots of fun little nods to Disney princess movies and my favorite movie The Princess Bride, and a touch of magic realism too."  You can find my full review here on Goodreads or here on my bookstagram.

The Unknown Beloved by Amy Harmon (4/19/22) - Amy Harmon is a prolific writer, but I only read my first book of hers, The Songbook of Benny Lament, last year, and I loved it.  And I am currently reading this historical mystery set in the 1930s, about a policeman trying to find a serial killer and the young woman whose family he is boarding with who he has a special collection with - not to mention her gift for being able to tell things about people when she touches an item they have touched.

Everything Must Go by Camille Pagan (4/26/22) - I have read all of Camille Pagan’s books, and I never miss a book by her.  Her new one is described as being about the relationship between adult sisters and their mother.

Marrying the Ketchups by Jennifer Close (4/26/22) - I love Jennifer Close’s writing, and am looking forward to this family drama, about three generations of a restaurant family.  Plus I love the title!

I’ll Be You by Janelle Brown (4/26/22) - I love Brown’s character-driven suspense novels.  Her latest is about estranged identical twin sisters.

***

Are any of these on your to-read list?  Any other books publishing in April 2022 that you're excited for?


No comments:

Post a Comment