Monday, December 11, 2023

Most Anticipated Books of 2024

My anticipated books of 2024 list is already so long - more than 100 books already!  Can’t fit them all, so I narrowed it down to the ones I’m MOST super-excited for, all by authors I’ve read and loved before, many of whom have made appearances on my top ten books of the year lists in the past. (I also always go with the rule that they have to have a set release date and a cover to be included.)

I'm happy to share them here, so you can go ahead and pre-order/get on the library waitlist/request from Netgalley.  I am lucky enough to have ARCs of some of them (though less than I’d like 😂), but I haven’t read any yet since I’m holding all my 2024 books until 2024. (And I’m super sad about some I was already denied for on Netgalley. 😭) So the below summaries are not reviews, but are based on publisher blurbs and other reviewers’ early reviews.  I once again tried to limit it to 25 books but just couldn’t figure out the last two to cut, so instead it’s a list of 27.

You may have noticed, but I’ve been kind of neglecting this blog of late - but never fear, I have way more bookish content out there - I’m just focusing on my bookstagram page these days.  (An instagram page focused solely on books, for those unfamiliar with the term.)  So if you want to see more from me, follow me there at: https://www.instagram.com/electric_bookaloo/, where I post book reviews, monthly anticipated book posts with even more books, monthly reading wrap ups, and more.


With no further ado, here are my most anticipated book releases of 2024, listed in order of their current US pub date:

Family Family by Laurie Frankel (1/23/24) - I always love Laurie Frankel’s warm and witty explorations of family relationships, and her book This Is How It Always Is was one of my top ten favorites of 2018 and one of my book club’s favorite books in our 12.5 year history. Her new book is about an actress and adoptive mom who creates a media storm when she criticizes the movie she just starred in which she feels is a bad representation of adoption.

House of Flame and Shadow by Sarah J Maas (1/30/24) - What do I even need to say about this fantasy novel, the third in popular author Sarah J Maas’s Crescent City series?  Either you love her and literally can’t wait to read this one after the mind-blowing cliffhanger at the end of book two in the series, or you wouldn’t touch this with a ten foot pole. I for one CAN’T WAIT!!!!

The Women by Kristin Hannah (2/6/24) - Kristin Hannah previously made it on to my top ten favorites of 2015 with her book The Nightingale. Her new book is about a young American woman who joins the Army Nurse Corps to follow her brother to Vietnam.  Early reviews for this one are absolutely glowing, and it currently has a stunning 4.66 average on Goodreads with more than 1,800 reviews.

The Hunter by Tana French (3/5/24) - Those who follow me closely may already know that Tana French is one of my absolute favorite authors - she’s the author of one of my favorite series of all time The Dublin Murder Squad, and has been on my top ten favorites list a whopping 6 times.  So she’s one of those authors that I don’t even care what her new book is about, I’m going to read it no matter what. In fact, writing up this blog post is the first time I even read the description of it. 😂 It’s a sequel to her last book, The Searcher, about a retired cop from Chicago who has moved to rural Ireland, and in this book again gets caught up in events in his small village.

Take Two, Birdie Maxwell by Allison Winn Scotch (3/5/24) - Allison Winn Scotch is another beloved author of mine - I’ve been reading and loving her books since 2008, I’ve read them all, and she’s been on my top ten favorites lists three times.  Plus through bookstagram I have had the pleasure of discovering she is also a super-nice person!  Too bad for me she is now published by publishing company Berkley which is notoriously stingy at approvals, so I was denied for this book even though I may literally be her biggest fan in the world. 😭 The description of this one sounds so good too!  In search of some good PR, a rom com actress sets off on a road trip trying to figure out who the ex-boyfriend is who sent an unsigned letter asking for a second chance - accompanied by a celebrity journalist who has been nursing his own crush on the actress for years.  Does that sound like a fun plot or what?

Finlay Donovan Rolls the Dice by Elle Cosimano (3/5/24) - This is the fourth book in a fun and funny series about a mystery writer who sort of accidentally found her life swept up in a world of crime when she was mistaken for a hit woman in the first book of the series.  If you like silly mysteries with lots of antics, this series is for you!  I really enjoyed all three previous books and am looking forward to this one as well.

The Good, the Bad, and the Aunties by Jesse Q Sutanto (3/26/24) - Coincidentally, another silly series about mystery-adjacent antics! This is the third book in Jesse Q Sutanto’s Aunties series, about an American woman from a Chinese-Indonesian family, and her absolutely bonkers aunts who are always getting into trouble.  I found the first two books in the series absolutely hilarious, and can’t wait to read this one. 

Just For The Summer by Abby Jimenez (4/2/24) - Abby Jimenez is one of my favorite rom-com writers out there, with great characters, great romance, and always lots of emotions in her books. She’s only made it on my top ten list once but I’ve loved all her books.  And I’m not the only one anticipating this, her 6th book - her announcement to her facebook group that the book was going to post on Netgalley literally broke the Netgalley site.  (And now it still hasn’t posted!) This one is about two people each famous for their “curse” - everyone they date goes on to find their soulmate as soon as they break up - who decide to date each other so they can break up and then have the same happen to them.

The Sicilian Inheritance by Jo Piazza (4/2/24) - I loved both Jo Piazza’s solo novel Charlotte Walsh Likes to Win, and her two joint books with Christine Pride.  And she’s another of my super-nice authors of Instagram, and her posts are often hilarious too.  Her new book, per the publisher, is “a transporting novel rooted in the author’s own family history about a long-awaited trip to Sicily, a disputed inheritance, and a family secret that some will kill to protect.”  Sounds like it is Piazza’s first foray into both mystery and dual-time period historical fiction, and I can’t wait to read it.

Christa Comes Out of Her Shell by Abbi Waxman (4/16/24) - I have adored Abbi Waxman’s five previous novels, three of which have ended up on my top ten favorites lists of years past. Another one where this book immediately went on to my most anticipated list the second I heard about it, and I only read the description of it while writing this post.  Per the publisher - “Just when she thought she’d gotten far enough away… a life-changing phone call throws an antisocial scientist back into her least favorite place– the spotlight.”

Darling Girls by Sally Hepworth (4/23/24) - I’ve read all of Sally Hepworth’s books - both her earlier contemporary women’s fiction books and her more recent thrillers - and she has for sure become a can’t miss author for me. Her latest sounds like another entertaining thriller, about three women whose lives are thrown into chaos when the bones of the foster mother they lived with as children are discovered.

Funny Story by Emily Henry (4/23/24) - I adored Emily Henry’s first three rom coms, though I must admit I was disappointed by this year’s Happy Place.  But I am nonetheless eager to read her next book.  This one is about a woman who is dumped by her fiancé for his childhood best friend, who decides to team up with the ex of her fiancé's new girlfriend to pretend they are dating.  I love a good fake dating story so this one sounds right up my alley.

The Paradise Problem by Christina Lauren (5/14/24) - I love author duo Christina Lauren’s rom com books, I think they’re just so fun and seem to keep getting better. Their next book, per the publisher, is “ a delicious new romance between the buttoned-up heir of a grocery chain and his free-spirited artist ex as they fake their relationship in order to receive a massive inheritance.”

One Perfect Couple by Ruth Ware (5/21/24) - Ruth Ware is one of my favorite thriller writers, and although her books vary in style, I have definitely compared a few of them to a modern day Agatha Christie.  Apparently her publisher agrees, saying that her new book is “[h]arkening to Agatha Christie’s classic And Then There Were None, this high-tension and ingenious thriller follows five couples trapped on a storm-swept island as a killer stalks among them.”

The Guncle Abroad by Steven Rowley (5/21/24) - I just adored Steven Rowley’s 2022 book The Guncle. In this sequel, according to the publisher, “When his brother Greg announces his big, second wedding in Lake Como, Italy, Patrick feels pulled toward Grant and Maisie and flies to Europe to attend the lavish event, only to butt heads with a newfound Launt (Lesbian Aunt), curb his sister Clara from flirting with guests, and desperately restore himself to the favored relative status in the eyes of the kids, as they struggle to adjust to a new normal. But is it Patrick’s job to save the day? Or is simply celebrating love enough to quell the family chaos?”

Summer Romance by Annabel Monaghan (6/4/24)  - I really loved Annabel Monaghan’s adult debut novel, Nora Goes Off Script, one of my top ten favorites of 2022, and also loved this year’s Same Time Next Summer.  Plus, Annabel lives a few towns over from me, so I have had the pleasure to meet her in person several times and she is just as warm and witty as her books!  So of course, her next book is one of my most anticipated. Her new book is about a single mom whose life is a mess despite her job as a professional organizer, who just might find a second chance when she meets a new guy.

Seven Summer Weekends by Jane L Rosen (6/4/24) - Jane L. Rosen has earned must read status for me with her first four books, and this one sounds like a perfect summer book.  Per the publisher, in this one, “[a] woman inherits a beach house, along with a series of weekend guests, while butting heads with the irritable (and irritatingly handsome) man next door, in this sparkling new escape.”  And she’s yet another super-nice author!  

Anna Bright Is Hiding Something by Susie Orman Schnall (6/4/24) - I loved Susie Orman Schnall’s two historical novels, The Subway Girls and We All Came to Shine.  This one, on the other hand, sounds like a modern day story perhaps inspired by Elizabeth Holmes?  It’s about a female CEO whose company is secretly committing fraud, and the female journalist trying to expose her. Can’t wait to read it! 

The Rom-Commers by Katherine Center (6/11/24) - I just straight up adore Katherine Center.  I’ve read all ten of her previous books, one of which, Things You Save in A Fire, made my 2019 top ten list, and she is just the sweetest person too.  And the author’s note in her most recent book defending rom coms against the charge of “predictability” was seriously everything.  So I literally will read anything she writes.  But this sounds like another adorable one, about a struggling writer hired to re-write a rom com script for a famous screenwriter who hates romance.

Not In Love by Ali Hazelwood (6/11/24) - Yes, it’s yet another romance on this list - what can I say, I love my romance books by authors I can count on. This one sounds like another STEM romance from Ali Hazelwood, about a biotech engineer whose company is bought in a hostile takeover who just might find an enemies to lovers relationship with the guy buying her company.

Sandwich by Catherine Newman (6/18/24) - I haven’t finalized my top ten favorite of 2023 list, but spoiler alert - you just might find Catherine Newman’s We All Want Impossible Things on it when I compile the final list. 🤫 So of course I want to see what she writes next.  And the fact that it is set on a family’s yearly vacation to Cape Cod is just icing on the cake, as that is one of my most favorite book settings.

Husbands & Lovers by Beatriz Williams (6/25/24) - I have read all 15 of Beatriz Williams’ historical novels - a feat that is all the more impressive given that I only discovered her in 2016.  And I got to meet her at a book signing a few months ago which was so exciting!  So whenever she has a new novel coming out, it’s always on my most anticipated list.  This time, one of her storylines is actually set in the present day, with the other set in Egypt in 1951.  Per the publisher, “[t]wo women—separated by decades and continents, and united by a mysterious family heirloom—reclaim family secrets and lost loves in this sweeping novel.”

The Same Bright Stars by Ethan Joella (7/2/24) - Ethan Joella’s debut novel A Little Hope made my top ten list of 2022, and if I hadn’t read his second novel in the same year, that probably would have made my top ten list too.  He just writes the most beautiful and emotional books, quiet literary fiction with characters who really come to life.  And he truly may be the nicest author out there, and I am possibly his biggest crazy fan.  😂  So I am super-excited for his book next summer - and the fact that it is both set on the beach and about a family restaurant - two things I love - is even better.  Per the publisher, it’s “an uplifting and emotionally resonant novel set in a Delaware beach town about a local restaurant owner at a turning point.”

The Summer Pact by Emily Giffin (7/9/24) - I’ve been reading and loving Emily Giffin for almost 20 years now, and I’ve read all 11 of her books, two of which have ended up on my top ten lists of years past. Her upcoming book actually sounds a touch like Steven Rowley’s The Celebrants - it’s about a group of college friends who after a tragedy make a pact to always be there for each other in a time of need, and then ten years later one of them invokes it and they all gather to take a trip together.

A Novel Summer by Jamie Brenner (7/16/24) - Jamie Brenner always writes great summer books with beachy settings, and is another super nice author!  Her next book is about an author who returns to Cape Cod where she lived when she wrote her first book - only to find that rather than celebrating the book’s success, her friends and neighbors are mad at her.  But then she gets called upon to help run the local bookshop for the summer.  Beach setting and a bookshop setting?  Count me in!

Look In the Mirror by Catherine Steadman (7/30/24) - Catherine Steadman has become one of my new favorite thriller writers.  Her latest is about a woman whose father dies and leaves her a tropical vacation house she never knew existed.  Traveling there, she tries to unravel how he came to own it and why he kept it secret - and what else is going on?

And So I Roar by Abi Daré (8/6/24) - Abi Dare’s debut novel, The Girl With the Louding Voice, is another one of my book club’s all time favorites.  So I was super excited to hear that she was writing a sequel!  Sounds like this one is told both from the perspective of Adunni, the main character from that book, and Tia, who has taken her in.  I’m thinking my book club will have to read this one together too!

***

Have you read any of these?  Are you adding any of these to your TBR or are they already on it?  Any other 2024 releases you’re excited for?


No comments:

Post a Comment