Thursday, May 2, 2019

Anticipated books of late spring/ early summer 2019 (May/June)

I know that technically summer doesn't begin until June 21st.  But just like summer movie season started last weekend with Avengers: Endgame (awesome movie!), I feel like summer reading season kind of starts early too.  As the weather starts getting warmer, it seems like the publishing world just explodes with books.  And since there are an absolutely ridiculous number of books coming out between May and August that I want to read, I thought I'd start with a post just covering the early ones - May and June - and then in a few months I'll update you on books coming out in July and August!  Some of these I already discussed in my blog post on anticipated books of 2019, others you might be hearing about here for the first time.



First, two books I already have read even though they haven't been published yet:

The Rosie Result - Graeme Simsion (5/28/19)  - I loved "The Rosie Project" and its sequel "The Rosie Effect," so I was very excited to get an early copy (at least for the U.S.) of the third book in the series, "The Rosie Result." I read "The Rosie Project" with my book club and it was on my 2013 top 10 list, and is also a book I always recommend as a light read.  And the second book was great too.  I don't want to reveal the plot of this book so as not to spoil things for anyone who hasn't read the first two, but if you enjoyed those books you will enjoy this one, and if you haven't read them yet then I highly recommend the series!  Like the first two books, the book is totally charming, funny, and poignant, as well as thought-provoking in making you see the world through the eyes of someone who is not neurotypical. And like the first two, I loved it and couldn't put it down. 4.5 stars.

One Night at the Lake - Bethany Chase (6/18/19)  - I've already discussed this book in detail in my 5 star review, so go read about it there!


And now, for a long list of books I haven't read yet but am looking forward to checking out, hopefully in the next few months as they come out!

Paris Diversion - Chris Pavone (5/7/19)  I have really enjoyed all three of Chris Pavone's literary thrillers.  My favorite is his first book, "The Expats," which I mentioned in my post on favorite thrillers.  His other two books have been standalones, but this book is a sequel to "The Expats" so I'm excited to read it.

Hope and Other Punchlines - Julie Buxbaum (5/7/19)  Julie Buxbaum is a must read author for me, one of my favorite authors of both contemporary women's fiction and young adult realistic fiction.  Her new one, coming out next week, is a young adult novel, about a teenager who is famous for a picture of her as a baby taken on 9/11.  Early reviews on Goodreads are amazing and I'm really excited for it.

Light From Other Stars - Erika Swyler (5/7/19)  The publisher's description of this one is long and a bit hard to blurb, but sounds like it is a combo coming of age/literary science fiction novel, alternating between 1986 when a young girl dreams of becoming a novel, and some time in the future when she actually is out in space.

The Night Before - Wendy Walker (5/14/19) Wendy Walker's previous book, "Emma in the Night," is another one I mentioned on my post of favorite thrillers.  The publisher's description for this one describes this one as "two sisters uncover long-buried secrets when an internet date spirals out of control."  I always enjoy a good thriller, so hopefully this will be one.

Mistress of the Ritz - Melanie Benjamin (5/21/19)  I always enjoy Melanie Benjamin's historical novels, which generally are well-researched books about real people.  According to the publisher, this one is "based on the story of the extraordinary real-life American woman who secretly worked for the French Resistance during World War II--while playing hostess to the invading Germans at the iconic Hotel Ritz in Paris."  I also really enjoy World War II fiction, so looking forward to see what Melanie Benjamin does with it.

The Summer Country - Lauren Willig (6/4/19)  I really enjoyed Lauren Willig's "Pink Carnation" series, and have read one of her standalone historical novels as well.  This is another standalone, described by the publisher as "her biggest, boldest, and most ambitious novel yet—a sweeping, dramatic Victorian epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados."

The Friends We Keep - Jane Green (6/4/19) Jane Green is one of my favorite chick lit authors, though her books definitely vary in quality.  This one is described as being about three college friends - "By their thirtieth reunion, these old friends have lost touch with each other and with the people they dreamed of becoming. Together again, they have a second chance at happiness… until a dark secret is revealed that changes everything."

Mrs. Everything - Jennifer Weiner  (6/11/19)  Jennifer Weiner is another of my favorite chick lit writers, and a must read author for me.  Her new book sounds a little different for her as it apparently is a historical novel, described by the publisher as "a smart, thoughtful, and timely exploration of two sisters’ lives from the 1950s to the present as they struggle to find their places—and be true to themselves—in a rapidly evolving world."

Time After Time - Lisa Grunwald (6/11/19)  I was really into Lisa Grunwald's fiction in the 1990s, though I never got around to her most recent book before this one, published in 2010.  Very excited to jump back into her writing with this one coming out next month, which sounds like it is a combo historical fiction'time travel novel, described by the publisher as "[a] magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond, in the spirit of The Time Traveler’s Wife."

The Last House Guest - Megan Miranda (6/18/19)  Megan Miranda is yet another favorite thriller writer.  Based on the description, this one is set in a vacation town in Maine, where a decade long friendship between a townie girl and a tourist girl is disrupted when one commits suicide and the other one is blamed and sets out to figure out what really happened.

Big Sky - Kate Atkinson (6/25/19)  Kate Atkinson is the writer, among other things, of one of my favorite literary mystery series, as well as a historical novel I love, "Life After Life."  The fourth book in the Jackson Brodie series was published in 2010, and she finally is publishing a 5th book in the series next month.  I'm a little hazy on the details of the four previous books in the series, but excited to read this new one.

Evvie Drake Starts Over - Linda Holmes (6/25/19)  The only debut novel on my list, I was first intrigued by this one because of the author, Linda Holmes, who I remember from her days as "Miss Alli" who recapped The Amazing Race among other things on Mighty Big TV/Television Without Pity, a website I was obsessed with back in the early 2000s.  But the description of this book sounds like my kind of book as well, "a heartfelt debut about the unlikely relationship between a young woman who’s lost her husband and a major league pitcher who’s lost his game."


No comments:

Post a Comment