Thursday, June 30, 2022

Anticipated Books of July 2022

Sorry I’m so late with my anticipated reads for July - June has been such a busy month!  But it’s not too late - there’s still time to make your library holds and pre-orders for July!  Here are my anticipated books of July, in order by US publication date:

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin (7/5/22) - Her last two books (The Storied Life of AJ Fikry and Young Jane Young) were both top ten of the year books for me, so I’m highly anticipating this one.  Which seemingly everyone got from Netgalley but me! 😭 It’s a coming of age novel about two friends in the works of video game design, but early reviews say you don’t have to know anything about gaming to enjoy it.

Reputation by Sarah Vaughan (7/5/22) - I have really enjoyed her previous books, and looking forward to her latest suspense/thriller.  Per the publisher, it’s about “a politician whose less than perfect personal life is thrust into the spotlight when a body is discovered in her home.”

Acts of Violet by Margarita Montimore (7/5/22) - I enjoyed her book Oona Out of Order and looking forward to checking this one out.  It’s about a magician who disappeared and I understand it’s written in a style not unlike Daisy Jones & the Six, with interviews and faux-podcast transcripts.  I love unconventional formats in novels so I’m in!  I hear it’s good on audio as well with a full cast for my audiobook fan friends.

The It Girl by Ruth Ware (7/12/22) - Ruth Ware might just be my favorite mystery/thriller author; can’t wait! I literally hadn’t even read the publisher description until I went to write this post, because I love her so much I don’t even care what the book is about. 😂 The publisher’s description is not the most original - one of a group of friends was murdered in college; ten years later the convicted murderer has died in prison but a journalist thinks he was innocent, stirring up the case again.  But I don’t care if I’ve read other books with this kind of plot; if Ruth Ware writes it, I’m here for it!

Upgrade by Blake Crouch (7/12/22) - Somehow I’ve never read a Blake Crouch novel, even though I like science fiction and everyone is always telling me I would like him!  So this is going to be my first one!  It’s a sci fi thriller about a man who discovers his genome has been upgraded. Hearing great things from early readers. 

The Bodyguard by Katherine Center (7/19/22) - The only one of these books I’ve read so far, and one of my favorite romance novels of the year!  I adore Katherine Center so I couldn’t wait to read my early copy - here’s my 4.5 star review from when I read it in April: “At the start of this adorable rom com, Hannah’s mom has just died and her coworker boyfriend has dumped her.  Then she finds out that the client she has been assigned to as an executive protection agent (aka) bodyguard is a famous movie star - and much to her chagrin, instead of her usual fading into the background, she has to pretend to be his girlfriend.  I was in the mood for a good romance and I knew Katherine Center wouldn’t disappoint me - and she didn’t!  This one was a touch lighter than some of her other books, but still managed to infuse the characters and the story with real emotions.  In addition to a swoon-worthy fake-dating romance, loved the stuff about families, guilt, and learning your own self-worth.  I couldn’t put it down and read it in less than 24 hours.  A delight to read!”

The Birdcage by Eve Chase (7/19/22) - I always love her historical novels with a bit of mystery.  If you’re not familiar with her, her books very much have a Kate Morton kind of vibe, so if you’re a fan of that kind of dual time period gothic novel, check her out. Per the publisher, it’s about three half-sisters who return to the house where they once posed for a painting by their father - and where they share a dark secret as well.

From the Jump by Lacie Waldon (7/19/22) - I loved Lacie Waldon’s debut romcom from last year, The Layover, so I'm looking forward to her new one.  The publisher blurb says:  “a chronic yes-woman finally admits to what - and who- she really wants in this unforgettable and heartfelt romantic comedy.”

The Work Wife by Alison Hart (7/19/22) - Hearing great things about this debut novel about Hollywood and Me Too.  Per the publisher, “told over the course of a single day and from three fierce perspectives, The Work Wife is a richly observed novel about female ambition, complicity, privilege, and what happens when the brightest of stars aren’t allowed to shine.”

The Last to Vanish by Megan Miranda (7/26/22) - I have been an avid reader of Megan Miranda’s thrillers since All the Missing Girls, and always look forward to a new one by her.  I found last summer’s book by her, Such a Quiet Place, a little disappointing - is that why I was denied on Netgalley for her latest? 🤔 But nonetheless I’m looking forward to this new one, about a journalist investigating a string of disappearances in a resort town. 

***

Are any of these on your to-read list?  Have you read any of them?  Any other books publishing in July 2022 that you're excited for?


No comments:

Post a Comment