Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Anticipated Books of August 2022

Looking for yet more books to add to your TBR?  Well it’s time to place those pre-orders and library holds, because here I am with my monthly look at the books I’m most looking forward to coming out in the next month - this time, August!  

Here they are by pub date:

She’s Up to No Good by Sara Goodman Confino (8/1) - Hearing good things about this grandmother/granddaughter road trip book!  It’s about a just divorced woman who agrees to accompany her grandmother on a cross-country trip to her hometown, during which her grandmother regales her with stories of her own romantic past.  Bonus - if this sounds interesting to you, it’s an Amazon First Reads book this month so you can snag a kindle copy for free right now if you have Amazon Prime.

Smells Like Tween Spirit by Laurie Gelman (8/2) - I already read and loved this 4th entry in the adorable and funny Class Mom series.  Here’s my 4 star review from 6/24:  “This fourth entry in Laurie Gelman’s Class Mom series is another fun one!  Our favorite snarky mom Jen Dixon is back, now with her son a teenager taking up wrestling which makes her have to join the ranks of the “mat moms,” while also dealing with her aging parents, and  her older daughters wanting to go in to business together. I was in the mood for a light and funny book and this totally delivered, while bringing some heart and emotions as well.  It’s not really one I would recommend as a stand-alone - not bc the plot is complex but because it kind of already assumes familiarity with the characters.   But if you love mom coms and you haven’t read the other Class Mom series go start with the first book and work your way through to this one, you won’t regret it!  And if you have read the other books in the series, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this one too!  I for one will keep reading these books as long as Laurie Gelman keeps writing them.”

Mika in Real Life by Emiko Jean (8/2) - I loved Emiko Jean’s cute YA Tokyo Ever After books so I’m interested to try her adult debut.  Per the publisher, it’s about a woman who gave a baby up for adoption when she was 19 - now that baby is 16 years old and wants to meet her and she tries to make her life look better than it is.  This is rumored to be the Good Morning America Book Club pick for August.

Thank You For Listening by Julia Whelan (8/2) - I don’t listen to audio novels so I may be the only one on bookstagram who hasn’t listened to an audiobook narrated by Julia Whelan, but I’m still intrigued to try this novel about an audiobook narrator - how meta! 

Alias Emma by Ava Glass (8/2) - A spy thriller with a female spy running around London?  Count me in!  The publisher describes it as “Killing Eve meets James Bond” which sounds like a fun combination to me.

The Family Remains by Lisa Jewell (8/9) - Lisa Jewell is one of my favorite thriller/suspense authors; so I’m excited for this sequel to 2019’s The Family Upstairs. 

Stay Awake by Megan Goldin (8/9) - I enjoyed Megan Goldin’s previous books The Escape Room and The Night Swim, so I’m looking forward to her latest thriller.  This one sounds a little like the movie Memento, about a woman who wakes up with no idea where or who she is but with messages written on her hands and on the run for a crime she doesn’t remember.

With Love From Wish & Co by Minnie Darke (8/16) - I enjoyed Minnie Darke’s first two books and looking forward to her latest romance.  Per the publisher, this is about a woman who runs a bespoke gift service and accidentally sends the wrong gifts to a client’s wife and mistress - and then starts to fall for the client’s son.

Lucy Checks In by Dee Ernst (8/16) - I loved her book Maggie Moves On and looking forward to another rom com featuring a woman in her 40s.  Per the publisher, this one is about a woman who moves to France “to rebuild a hotel and her own life in the process,”

Please Join Us by Catherine McKenzie (8/23) - I’m a longtime fan of Catherine McKenzie so looking forward to her latest, about a woman who joins a women’s networking club that may be more sinister than it seems.

Love on the Brain by Ali Hazelwood (8/23) - As one of many fans of her debut novel The Love Hypothesis, I’m looking forward to checking out her sophomore rom com novel, again set in the STEM world.

Carrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid (8/30) - one of my favorite authors is back with a book set in the 1980s in the world of competitive tennis. Here’s my 4 star review from 5/21:  “What do you do when you get an ARC of the newest book by one of your favorite authors?  Obviously, the answer is drop everything, start it that day, and finish it within 24 hours. Taylor Jenkins Reid’s latest, coming out 8/30/22, is about tennis player Carrie Soto, who had the tiniest cameo in TJR’s last book, Malibu Rising (but don’t worry, it’s a stand-alone).  The book begins in 1994 when she is 37 and contemplating coming out of retirement to defend her grand slam record which is on the verge of being broken by a younger player.  The book then flashes back to her childhood and earlier career, before picking back up where the book started as she pursues her comeback with her dad as her coach. This book was VERY heavy on the tennis, but luckily I am a huge tennis fan so I understood everything that was going on and enjoyed all the details.  I am definitely curious how it will be received by non-tennis fans though.  But there are also a lot of other interesting themes that came up along with the tennis, including the father-daughter relationship, sexism, the pressure to be perfect, how and why Carrie is unapologetically herself, and more.  It was not my most favorite TJR book, but still an extremely solid great read.”

***

Are any of these on your to-read list?  Any other books publishing in August 2022 that you're excited for?


No comments:

Post a Comment