Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Anticipated books of July/August 2020

So many books end up being published in summer that I split my summer reading posts into two again this summer - one on books coming out in May and June 2020, and now this post on books coming out in July and August of 2020 that I'm particularly excited to read.  I'm happy to report that I have done a pretty good job already working my way through my May and June list, having already read 9 out of the 11 books I mentioned which I hadn't read yet at the time of that post - not too shabby! 


This time around, the only book coming out in July/August that I was super-excited for AND had an advanced copy of was "What You Wish For" by Katherine Center (out 7/14/20) and I was a little disappointed in it compared to her other books I've read (cute and quick but just did not give me all the feels like her other books, 3.5 stars), so onwards to all those books coming out that I am looking forward to getting my hands on!

The View From Here - Hannah McKinnon (7/1/20) - Hannah McKinnon's books just scream summer - each one is set in a different summery setting and they're that particular brand of contemporary women's fiction which I'm pretty sure are designed expressly for reading on the beach.  Her last book was not her best, but I loved her first 3 and very much looking forward to this, her 5th book, this time set in a Connecticut lake town where 3 siblings return for their grandmother's birthday party and family drama ensues.

The Heir Affair - Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (7/7/20) - I absolutely adored Heather Cocks' and Jessica Morgan's book "The Royal We," an adorable book about an American college student who falls in love with the fictional prince of England - think Prince William and Kate Middleton if Kate was American.  Indeed, it's adorable chick lit with heart quality earned it a spot on my 2018 top 10 list.  So needless to say, I'm super-excited for this sequel.

A Very Punchable Face - Colin Jost (7/14/20) - Although I mostly read fiction, I really enjoy comedic memoirs, and I also enjoy Saturday Night Live, especially Weekend Update.  So I'm excited to check out this memoir from Colin Jost who is the head writer of SNL and co-anchor of Weekend Update (not to mention Scarlet Johansson's fiance.)  The title alone already has me laughing.

The Daughters of Foxcote Manor - Eve Chase (7/21/20) - Eve Chase has only written two books so far but I loved them both, including her debut "Black Rabbit Hall," an awesome piece of gothic fiction which was on my  2016 top 10 list.  This one sounds like another dual time period gothic fiction set in one of my favorite settings - a crumbling British countryside mansion.  

Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing - Allison Winn Scotch (8/1/20) - Allison Winn Scotch is one of my most favorite authors of contemporary women's fiction and an absolute must read author for me!  I have been a huge fan of hers from the start of her career, and two of her books have made my top 10 lists of years past.  Her new book is about a senator forced to do damage control after an estranged friend publishes a nasty op-ed about her.  I've been able to get advanced copies of her last few books prior to this one but for some reason Netgalley hasn't approved me for this one yet, so I'm anxiously awaiting publication!

The Lions of 5th Avenue - Fiona Davis (8/4/20) - Although I only discovered Fiona Davis a few years ago when her first book landed on my 2017 top 10 list, she's become another must read author for me, also in the dual time period historical fiction genre.  All of her books center around some famous building in NYC - this time, the New York Public Library in both 1913 and 1993.

80 Days to Elsewhere - kc Dyer (8/11/20) - I had never heard of this author before, but the cover caught my eye, and then the description sounded right up my alley.  The publisher's blurb describes this book as "The Amazing Race meets Around the World in 80 Days as a woman desperate to save her family bookstore falls for her competition."  I'm pretty sure Berkley Books has rejected every single Netgalley request I've ever made for one of their books, but there's just something about their covers and descriptions that just suck me in and make me want to read them.

Impersonation - Heidi Pitlor (8/18/20) - I really enjoyed Heidi Pitlor's thriller "The Daylight Marriage," enough that I listed it in my first post on favorite thrillers.  Indeed, it was one of the few books that I thought could be an exception to the rule that no one should ever call their book "the next 'Gone Girl.'"  Sounds like this one is not a thriller - the publisher's description is a little hard to pithily blurb, but this book is about a woman hired to be a ghostwriter by another, more famous woman.  The publisher calls it "A satirical, incisive snapshot of how so many of us now live... a timely, insightful, and bitingly funny story of ambition, motherhood, and class."

And of course, I'll continue catching up on the books from my anticipated books of 2020 (currently have read 17 of them and a few more are included on today's list) and anticipated books of May/June 2020, and I'm sure I'll be reading plenty of older books as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment