Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Anticipated Books of Fall 2020

It has been a while since I have posted anything - don't know where the time goes!  But never fear, I have spent plenty of time not just reading, but reading and researching upcoming books.  So without further ado, here are the books being published this fall that I'm most looking forward to!

And there are a lot of good ones coming out this fall!  Here they are, in order of publication date, with their currently scheduled publication dates in parentheses.

One by One - Ruth Ware (9/8/20) - Ruth Ware has yet to appear on one of my top 10 lists, but is nonetheless a must read author for me, one of my favorite authors of mystery/thrillers.  This one comes out next week and I think I'm towards the top of the library waitlist so hopefully will be reading it quite soon!  The publisher's description of this one says "When an off-site company retreat meant to promote mindfulness and collaboration goes utterly wrong when an avalanche hits, the corporate food chain becomes irrelevant and survival trumps togetherness. Come Monday morning, how many members short will the team be?"  Sounds very Agatha Christie, plus a little bit of Jane Harper's "Force of Nature," a 5 star book for me two years ago.  Can't wait!

Don't Look For Me - Wendy Walker (9/15/20) - Another thriller, this one about a woman who disappears - did she walk away like the evidence suggests, or did something more sinister happen to her?  I have quite enjoyed the two other thrillers by Wendy Walker that I have read, "Emma in the Night" and "The Night Before" - both got a little crazy and unbelievable but were entertaining page-turners, so I'm hoping for more of the same from this one.

The Book of Two Ways - Jodi Picoult (9/22/20) - Jodi Picoult is another type of must-read author for me, one whose books I'm still catching up on.  Four of her books made my top 10 lists in the early years, then I started reading her more intermittently as her books varied in quality, but I've started reading all of hers again as they come out and planning to catch up on the ones I missed.  Based on the (very long) publisher's description, this one is about a woman who, after surviving a plane crash, starts thinking about the alternate path her life might have taken - not just the guy who got away, but the career she walked away from as well.

A Deadly Education - Naomi Novik (9/29/20) - I loved Naomi Novik's "Temeraire" series, set in an alternate history of the Napoleonic period but with dragons, and enjoyed her two stand-alone fantasy novels as well. Sounds like this one is the start of a new series, about a dangerous school for magic where you can't leave until you graduate - or die.

Just Like You - Nick Hornby (9/29/20) - I missed Nick Hornby's last book, but have read and enjoyed all his other adult fiction, so I'll definitely check out this one, about a divorced woman who unexpectedly falls into a relationship with a guy much younger than her.

The Searcher - Tana French (10/6/20) - Tana French is not just a must read author for me, she's one of my most favorite authors of all time; my favorite author of mysteries and writer of one of my favorite series of all time.  This one is a standalone mystery, about a retired detective who moves to a small village in rural Ireland, where a boy asks him for help finding his missing brother.

Troubles in Paradise - Elin Hilderbrand (10/6/20) - This is the third book in a trilogy set mostly on the island of St. John, set in motion when a woman finds out when her husband dies that he was living a whole secret life.  I read the first two books in the series on my last two winter vacations; given that there is not looking like there will be a tropical winter vacation this winter, I guess I'll just have to read this one at home this fall/winter while imagining warmer weather.

Invisible Girl - Lisa Jewell (10/13/20)  - I've only read a few of Lisa Jewell's books but I've really enjoyed them all.  This one is described by the publisher as a thriller "following a group of people whose lives shockingly intersect when a young woman disappears."  Sounds like it will be told from multiple perspectives, including a psychologist, a creepy neighbor caught up in the online world of incels, and a troubled former patient of the psychologist - sounds creepy but good.

The Lost Love Song - Minnie Darke (10/13/20) - I really enjoyed Minnie Darke's debut chick lit novel, "Star-Crossed," which I described as kind of like an Australian version of Sophie Kinsella.  The description of this one is hard to summarize, but sounds like it is set in both Australia and Scotland and from different perspectives, of how a particular love song connects different people.

Love Your Life - Sophie Kinsella (10/27/20) - Speaking of Sophie Kinsella, the queen of British chick-lit has a new book coming out herself!  She's another must-read author whose works I haven't completed because I just didn't connect with the Shopaholic books so only read two of them, while reading all her stand-alones.  This one is described by the publisher as "an utterly delightful novel about a woman who ditches her dating app for a writer's retreat in Italy--only to find that real love comes with its own filters."

The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop - Fannie Flagg (10/27/20) - Fannie Flagg's "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" was one of my favorite books (and movies) of my teenage years.  Since then, I've read some but not all of her books, and she has the most charming writing style.  All these years later, she has written a sequel about the now grown up son of Ruth from the first movie.  I'm definitely going to read it, my only question is whether I should re-read (or watch?) "Fried Green Tomatoes" first to refresh myself.

The Cold Millions - Jess Walter (10/27/20) - Jess Walters' "Beautiful Ruins" was one of my top 10 books of 2012, and I don't think he's published a novel since then, so I'm very curious to check this one out. This one is a historical novel set in Washington State in the early 1900s, about family, love, and the rise of labor unions.

Instant Karma - Marissa Meyer (11/3/20) - I adored Marissa Meyer's "The Lunar Chronicles" series, one of my favorite young adult fantasy series so I'm curious to check out this, her first book set in the contemporary real world.  Sounds like there is still a bit of a fantasy aspect to it, as the publisher's description says it is about a girl "suddenly gifted with the ability to cast instant karma on those around her—both good and bad."

Super Fake Love Song - David Yoon (11/17/20)  - Another young adult contemporary novel.  Like the Elin Hildebrand books, I read and enjoyed David Yoon's first book, "Frankly in Love," on my winter vacation last year, so I'm looking forward to checking this one out as well.  It's described by the publisher as a "contemporary YA rom-com where a case of mistaken identity kicks off a string of (fake) events that just may lead to (real) love."  PS, David Yoon is the husband of Nicola Yoon, herself the author of popular books like "The Sun Is Also a Star."

There are more books coming out this fall that I'll probably check out eventually too, but the above are the ones I'm most looking forward to and plenty to keep me busy for a while. So far this year I'm doing pretty good at keeping up with my anticipated books list, so maybe you'll even see one of these on my top 10 list?  Stay turned.

No comments:

Post a Comment