Monday, December 12, 2022

Anticipated Books of 2023

Somehow it's almost the end of the year, which means it's time for me to reveal my most anticipated books of 2023!  I’ve always enjoyed looking to see what books are going to be published in the near future.  Indeed, for me, tracking upcoming books is kind of its own hobby, separate from reading.  

For the last few years, in addition to my anticipated books of the year posts, I’ve been doing monthly anticipated book posts which allow me to feature even more books.  But putting together my most anticipated books of the year in addition to my anticipated books each month is still something I will always keep doing.  This list is limited to just the TOP books I’m most super-excited about - the ones I will be making it a priority to read.  It was so hard to narrow it down that these are all books by authors who I’ve already read and loved, though there are definitely some great sounding debuts coming next year too!  To narrow it down, I also only included a book if it had a set release date and a cover. 

My longer list has at least three times as many books as I am discussing here, but for this post, I limited myself to 25 books.  Well, I tried to limit it to 25, but I ended up with 26 anyway.  😂 But anyway, keep an eye out for my monthly posts about anticipated books to see even more books I’m looking forward to, whether they’re ones that just don’t fit here, or ones I hear about later.  And if you are looking for even more bookish content from me, check out my instagram account where I post book-related stuff almost every single day from reviews to anticipated books to other book features.

Now without further ado, here are the 2023 releases that I’m most looking forward to, so you can go ahead and request from Netgalley/get on the library waitlist/pre-order them if you so desire!  I am lucky enough to have ARCs of a few of these, but I decided not to read any of my 2023 advanced copies of books until 2023, so I haven’t read any yet!  So all my descriptions are just based on their publisher blurbs or what I’ve heard from early reviewers.



So, here they are, listed in order of their current US publication date, which is listed in parentheses after the title and author of each book:

Exiles by Jane Harper (1/31/23) - Jane Harper is one of my favorite literary mystery writers.  Two of her previous four books have made my top ten lists of years past (The Dry in 2017 and the 5 star Force of Nature in 2018), and all four have been at least 4.5 star books for me!  Her newest is out already in Australia, but we in the United States have to wait until January.  It’s her third book featuring detective Aaron Falk after The Dry and Force of Nature, though from what I understand, it can be read as a standalone.  In this book, it’s been one year since a woman disappeared from a music festival, leaving her baby lying there in his stroller.  When Falk comes to visit someone who knew her, he finds himself caught up in investigating.

Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun by Elle Cosimano (1/31/23) - This is also the third book in a series, about an author and single mom who in the first book was mistaken for a hit woman when discussing a book idea with her agent, and various shenanigans ensued. This series is a little silly but a lot of fun, and I’m eager to read the latest installment. 

Children of Memory by Adrian Tchaikovsky (1/31/23) - Ok, this is getting strange, because this book is also publishing on January 31st and is also the third in a series!  Adrian Tchaikovsky’s Children of Time and Children of Ruin are both terrific science fiction epics - modern books but with the feel of timeless classics.  They’re set in the far future with humanity traveling in space, and on planets where non-human life have been uplifted into intelligent life.  I gather that this book introduces yet another colony with new characters, but with some familiar old characters from the first two books making an appearance as well.  Can’t wait to read it, just need to refresh my memory of the first two books!

Someone Else’s Shoes by Jojo Moyes (2/7/23) - I have read ten of Jojo Moyes’ previous books, and enjoy both her historical fiction and her contemporary books.  According to the publisher, this book is about two very different women whose paths cross when one accidentally takes the gym bag of the other - and thus quite literally has a chance to walk in the other one’s shoes - a pair of Christian Louboutins.  Sounds like fun and I’m sure she’ll bring her typical emotion to it as well.

Good For You by Camille Pagan (3/1/23) - Camille Pagan is one of my favorite writers of contemporary women’s fiction, and I’ve read all eight of her previous books, one of which made an appearance on my top ten list of 2017.  According to the publisher, her new book is about a woman who achieves her career goals, only to have a public meltdown.  She retreats to the beach house her deceased brother bequeathed to her - only to find out he left it to his best friend as well.  Having read my fair share of romance books, I can guess where the book might go from there - but looking forward to reading to see how it plays out!

Off the Map by Trish Doller (3/7/23) - I really enjoyed Trish Doller’s books Float Plan (with main character Anna) and The Suite Spot (with main character Rachel, Anna’s sister).  This third book in this loose series is about Anna’s best friend Carla, who travels to Ireland for Anna’s wedding - and finds unexpected romance with the best man.

Two Wars and a Wedding by Lauren Willig (3/21/23) - I’m a longtime fan of historical fiction author Lauren Willig, and I’ve read a whopping 16 of her previous books (still working on a few of her backlist).  Her new book is set in the 1890s, set both at an archeology dig in Greece when the Greco-Turkish war breaks out, and in Cuba during the Spanish American war several years later.  That’s the two wars of the title - so I can only assume Willig will also be bringing her usual knack for historical romance for the wedding part of the title!

Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano (3/21/23) - Ann Napolitano’s previous novel, Dear Edward, was not just a top ten of the year book for me but a rare 5 star book as well. So I’m eager to check out her next book, which according to the publisher is “an emotionally layered and engrossing story of a family that asks: Can love make a broken person whole?”

Homecoming by Kate Morton (4/4/23) - Kate Morton is one of my top favorite authors ever - not only have four of her six novels made my top ten of the year lists, but those four also got 5 stars from me - and you know I’m picky about my five stars!  Plus, she hasn’t published a new book since 2018 - the 5 star, top ten Clockmaker's Daughter.  So, I am DYING to read this one and crossing my fingers that my pending Netgalley request for it will be granted. Sounds like another dual time period historical mystery, set in Australia in 1959 and the present.

Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld (4/4/23) - I love Curtis Sittenfeld - have read all her books, and the last two were top ten of the year for me (Rodham was a 5 star book and a top ten of 2020, and Eligible was a top ten of 2018).  This sounds so good - about a comedy writer at a late night sketch show who finds herself vibing with a pop star hosting the show for the week. That description would appeal to me from any author, but Sittenfeld is a talented enough writer that I know that it will be more than just a run of the mill dating a celebrity rom com (not that I don’t love those) - and I can’t wait to read it!

Soulmate by Sally Hepworth (4/4/23) - I’ve read and enjoyed all seven of Hepworth’s previous books - both her earlier books which are contemporary women’s fiction, and her more recent books which are psychological suspense/thrillers. Per the publisher, this one is about married couple Pippa and Gabe who live on a house by a cliff that unfortunately is a popular suicide spot.  Gabe always goes out and literally talks people off the cliff - until one night he doesn’t, and Pippa finds out he knew the woman and begins to question everything.

Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez (4/11/23) - Abby Jimenez is one of my favorite rom com writers, with her book The Happy Ever After Playlist making my top ten list of 2020 and others coming close.  And early reviews for this one are just glowing!  Sounds like an enemies to lovers book, about a doctor who is having a rough time when she begins to discover that her professional rival might just be the perfect guy for her.  Although I was approved for her 2022 book on Netgalley, I was denied for this one so I have to wait.  😢

Saturday Night at the Lakeside Supper Club by J Ryan Stradal (4/18/23) - Both of Stradal’s previous books made my top ten of the year when they came out (2016 and 2019) so this is another one that was automatically one of my most anticipated before I even know what it’s about!  But this sounds good too - a family drama with a restaurant background set  in Minnesota.  And another one that broke my heart when I was denied on Netgalley.

The Golden Doves by Martha Hall Kelly (4/18/23) - I love Martha Hall Kelly’s historical novels, with her debut The Lilac Girls having made my top ten of 2019. According to the publisher, in this one, based on a true story, “[t]wo former female spies, bound together by their past, risk everything to hunt down in an infamous Nazi doctor in the aftermath of WWII.”

Games and Rituals by Katherine Heiny (4/18/23) - I love Katherine Heiny’s book Early Morning Riser, which was one of my top ten books of 2021, and also enjoyed her other older novel which I caught up on this year.  Excited to read this new release, a short story collection, which I’m sure will be told with her usual terrific characters and writing.

Happy Place by Emily Henry (4/25/23) - Another of my favorite rom com writers from the last few years, and I feel like her books just keep getting better.  Per the publisher, in her new book, “[a] couple who broke up months ago make a pact to pretend to still be together for their annual vacation with their best friends.”  So I guess a combo of fake dating, second chance romance, and forced proximity tropes?  I’m sure it will be a fun and much buzzed about read.

The Ferryman by Justin Cronin (5/2/23) - Justin Cronin is another one of my most, most favorite writers of all time - and I think the only writer who has had every single one of his five books appear on my top ten of the year lists - including his literary post-apocalyptic trilogy The Passage, my favorite series of all time, and his two earlier, more quiet literary books.  So needless to say, I CAN’T WAIT to read this one!  Indeed it’s amazing I have held back from reading my early copy this long - don’t be surprised if I read this one very early!  Sounds like it will be another atmospheric dystopian book, described by the publisher as “about a group of survivors on a hidden island utopia--where the truth isn't what it seems.”

Atlas by Lucinda Riley and Harry Whitaker (5/11/23) - I’m a long time fan of Lucinda Riley, one of my favorite historical fiction writers.  I have read all seven books so far in her Seven Sisters series, and I was so sad when she passed away in 2021.  This eighth and final book in the series was finished by her son using her notes and part of her writing, and I am really looking forward to reading it and just hoping he can do it justice!

The Celebrants by Steven Rowley (5/16/23) - Like everyone else on bookstagram, I just loved Steven Rowley’s book The Guncle.  I’ve still been meaning to catch up on his backlist, but I’m also definitely going to be reading his new release.  Per the publisher, “The night after one of their own is tragically taken away from them, a group of seven college friends form a pact: a promise to reunite every few years to throw each other "living funerals," constant reminders that life is worth living, if not for them then for their late friend… But when one member of the old gang receives an unexpected diagnosis, the pact takes on new meaning.”

On Fire Island by Jane L Rosen (5/23/23) - I think Jane Rosen’s books are just so much fun!  According to the publisher, this one is about a book editor who dies young - but is able to spend one last summer watching her friends and family at their house on Fire Island.

Same Time Next Summer by Annabel Monaghan (6/6/23) - Annabel Monaghan’s book Nora Goes Off Script was my favorite rom com of 2022, so I am looking forward to her follow up!  This one is about an engaged woman who runs into her childhood/teenage sweetheart for the first time in 14 years, and begins to question everything.  I must admit, second chance romance where the first one was a teenage relationship is perhaps my least favorite romance trope, but I’m still looking forward to seeing what Monaghan does with it. 

Charm City Rocks by Matthew Norman (6/6/23)  - I love Matthew Norman - he writes great funny but poignant novels which not only do I always enjoy, but my husband always enjoys too.  Per the publisher, “When a single dad meets the former rock star crush of his youth, everything they thought they knew about happiness and love is thrown into chaos in this hopeful, heartwarming romantic comedy.”

The Spectacular by Fiona Davis (6/13/23) - I love Fiona Davis’s historical novels, which are always centered on a famous building in New York City, and have been avidly following her since her first book The Dollhouse landed on my 2017 top ten list.  This one is set at Radio City Music Hall in 1956, about a new member of the Rockettes who tries to help the police find a bomber threatening New York City.

The Beach at Summerly by Beatriz Williams (6/27/23) - Beatriz Williams is another of my favorite historical fiction writers, and another writer who has appeared on my top ten list back in 2017, and I'm always excited for a new book by her.  Like her book The Summer Wives, this one is set on Winthrop Island, and from reading the publisher’s description, sounds like it has a cross-over with Our Women in Moscow as well.  But let’s face it, it doesn’t really matter what her books are about, I read them all!

Hello Stranger by Katherine Center (7/11/23) - I adore Katherine Center and have just one of her backlist books left to go.  I've loved all her books, but most especially Things You Save in a Fire which a 5 star book and a top ten of 2019. And I’m always excited for a new book by her as well!  According to the publisher, this one is about an artist trying to save her career after developing face blindness, while also trying to decide which of two different guys she might be falling in love with.

Cutting Teeth by Chandler Baker (7/18/23) - I loved Chandler Baker’s two previous adult books, Whisper Network and The Husbands.  The publisher’s blurb for this one is so intriguing and hard to summarize!  It’s about three mothers who are dealing with their own issues “when an unsettling medical condition begins to go around the Little Academy preschool: the kids are craving blood. Then a young teacher is found dead, and the only potential witnesses are ten adorable four-year-olds. Soon it becomes clear that the children are not just witnesses, but also suspects . . . and so are their mothers…  Part murder mystery, part motherhood manifesto, Cutting Teeth explores the standards society holds mothers to—along with the ones to which we hold ourselves—and the things no one tells you about becoming a parent.”  Sign me up to read this one!

***

Wow, after writing those up, I’m even more excited to read these books - and can’t believe the embarrassment of riches it looks like 2023 has to offer.  Have you read any of these yet?  Are you adding any of these to your TBR or are they already on it?  Any other 2023 releases you’re excited for that I didn’t mention?


No comments:

Post a Comment